The informal sector is characterized by challenges such as inadequate labor laws which seek to protect the rights of the worker, absence of dignity of work resulting in low self-esteem for the worker, inadequate job and social security in addition to lack of a systematic and organized skill and competency building program for the target segment.
Empower Pragati offers two livelihood opportunities in the segment.
a. Home Managers
- The Home Manager program is a 60-90 day program, which targets the uneducated poor women in both the urban and rural areas.
- The program trains the beneficiary on essential life skills, like building self esteem, problem solving abilities, basics of money management, personal and community hygiene in addition to basic communication and language skills ( in English) for catering to the needs of a multi lingual customer segment.
- The program additionally invests adequate time and effort in building the work related competencies which include amongst others, knowledge and operation of common house hold gadgets like refrigerators, washing machines, gas tables & microwave ovens, vacuum cleaner, steam irons and other kitchen and household gadgets. The program also imparts knowledge and awareness of healthy cooking and home management.
b. Bed Side Patient Attendants/Home Care Nursing
- The Home Care Nursing program is a 90 day program which targets both the women and men, who would have completed their Grade 10/12 in school education and belong to the economically backward and socially vulnerable segments.
- The program focuses on essential life skills which would be building self-esteem and dignity of work, problem solving abilities, personal and community hygiene, basics of money management and ability to manage in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Fundamentals of non-invasive medical care for infants, aged and the physically challenged individuals.